Checklists Are A PCO Business’ Best Friend!
Creating checklists is how you ensure that oversights and errors are eliminated. Systems need the proper controls in place in order to make them airtight and dependable.It’s not enough to just have a checkmark next to a task. You have to have a checkmark.
You have to have a spot where someone initials it so you know who did it. You need to record the date when the task was completed. And then make note of any follow up that’s necessary.
Here’s an example of the items listed on a checklist used to do a closeout at the end of each month:
1. Run a sales report that shows revenue by service.
2. Print out a payment report with all the deposits made.
3. Print a sales tax report to show which jurisdictions you have collected sales tax in and who you have to remit to.
4. Take all that information and journalize it into your general ledger system.
5. Look through each account step by step to make sure everything was coded correctly.
6. Once you know all the work has been posted, create customer statements and send them out.
7. Make sure the renewals for the upcoming month get sent out.
8. Actually push the button and close the month in the computer so that you can start fresh with the next month.
9. After the close is done, produce all the reports that tell you exactly where you are and how you’ve been.
Checklists can be used for many of your processes. For instance, a valuable checklist in the PMP business is an end-of-day checklist for technicians to submit when they come in at night. This will determine if everything that was supposed to be covered WAS actually covered. This will also point out any follow-ups that are necessary on the part of the technician, a manager, or anyone else.
Checklists are a great way to take a lot of the stress out of the day.
Any structure you can provide is helpful to both the individual and the organization. YOU WANT TO MAKE THE DAY BORING. Today has to be just like yesterday and the day before so that you don’t have to reinvent your business everyday. Learn more business strategies to help grow your pest control business.
Marisa is Content Editor for PCO Bookkeepers, PCO M&A Specialists and Turfbooks.